Activity 7: South West Queensland water demand analysis
In this guide:
- Coal seam gas water feasibility study
- Activity 1: Chemistry, origins and hydrogeology of coal
- Activity 2: Modelling and forecasting of coal seam gas water production
- Activity 3: Assessment of the salinity impacts of coal seam gas water
- Activity 4: Stream ecosystem health response to coal seam gas water release
- Activity 5: Vulnerability of aquifers to coal seam gas water extraction
- Activity 6: Aquifer injection feasibility
- Activity 7: South West Queensland water demand analysis
- Activity 8: Proposals for using coal seam gas water in the Central Condamine Alluvium
- Activity 9: Proposals for coal seam gas water use in the QMDB
This activity identifies existing water use and potential future demands for water over the next 50 years in the urban, industrial, mining, power generation and rural sectors in South West Queensland. The analysis also identifies opportunities for appropriate demand management and water use efficiency measures.
The analysis was undertaken by the consultants Psi-Delta (non-urban demand) and MWH (urban demand). Findings from the analysis are presented in the reports below.
The South West Queensland water demand analysis summary report (PDF, 1.3MB) summarises the key findings from the more detailed urban and non-urban demand reports. It provides an overview of historical water use trends; the factors affecting historical use and anticipated to impact future demand; and the projected water demand for urban and non-urban sectors. The report also outlines the anticipated impact of selected water demand management strategies across the region.
The South West Queensland water demand analysis - non-urban demand report (PDF, 6.5MB) includes details of the methods used to assess non-urban water demand, the factors expected to affect demand, and the predicted water demand for key non-urban industries in the region, including irrigated agriculture, intensive livestock production, coal mining and energy generation.
The South West Queensland water demand analysis - urban demand report (PDF, 1.3MB) focuses on key urban centres in the region, namely St George, Dalby, Chinchilla, Miles, Roma, Goondiwindi, Stanthorpe, Warwick, Pittsworth and Inglewood. It provides analyses of historical water demand, population projections and demand forecasts, and assesses water demand management options for the individual centres.