Activity 2: Modelling and forecasting of coal seam gas water production
In this guide:
- Coal seam gas water feasibility study
- Activity 1: Chemistry, origins and hydrogeology of coal
- Activity 2: Modelling and forecasting of coal seam gas water production
- Activity 3: Assessment of the salinity impacts of coal seam gas water
- Activity 4: Stream ecosystem health response to coal seam gas water release
- Activity 5: Vulnerability of aquifers to coal seam gas water extraction
- Activity 6: Aquifer injection feasibility
- Activity 7: South West Queensland water demand analysis
- Activity 8: Proposals for using coal seam gas water in the Central Condamine Alluvium
- Activity 9: Proposals for coal seam gas water use in the QMDB
The objective of activity 2 was to forecast where, when and how much CSG water is likely to be produced as the CSG industry develops.
Activity 2 developed a software tool capable of forecasting where, when and how much CSG water is likely to be produced in the Surat and Southern Bowen basins under various industry expansion scenarios up to the year 2060. This tool is the only available product of its kind that:
- has been developed independently of (but in consultation with) the CSG industry
- has an openly documented methodology
- has undergone formal scientific peer review
- has been openly validated against historical data
- estimates CSG water production at the whole-of-industry scale.
The tool's flexible design means it can be updated and improved as new data is acquired and the CSG industry develops.
Estimates from the tool have already been used by activity 8.1 and 8.3 to identify opportunities for delivering CSG water to the Central Condamine Alluvium for use via aquifer injection or groundwater substitution.
The following three documents present the outcomes of Activity 2:
- A technical report (PDF, 6.0MB) describes in detail how the tool was developed and how it works, including the theory, data and calculations that it uses to estimate CSG water production. It also presents the forecasts produced by the tool for three industry expansion scenarios.
- A non-technical summary (PDF, 2.0MB) covers the key aspects of the technical report in less technical terms.
- An addendum to the technical report (PDF, 593.1KB) documenting enhancements made to the Water Production Tool.