Under the Water Reform and Other Legislation Amendment Act 2014, water resource plans and resource operation plans are being replaced by the new planning instruments. As the provisions of the draft Whitsunday Resource Operations Plan released in 2010 dealing with the O'Connell River and Andromache River subcatchment areas were deferred by notice in November 2011, the transition under the Act will not occur until the deferred aspect of the resource operations plan has been finalised.
Read more about the changes to water legislation.
Map of the catchment
Water resource plan
- The Whitsunday catchment water resource plan was released in February 2010.
- Explanatory notes accompany the plan.
Resource operations plan
- The Whitsunday resource operations plan (PDF, 2.4MB) (ROP) was finalised in December 2011 after an extensive community consultation and review process.
- Explanatory notes (PDF, 441.4KB) accompany the plan.
- A consultation report (PDF, 470.5KB) summarises the issues raised during the consultation process and how they were addressed in the final resource operations plan.
Deferred aspect of the draft Whitsunday resource operations plan
A deferral notice was released on 17 November 2011 (PDF, 399.8KB). The deferred aspect comprises the following provisions for unsupplemented water located within subcatchments D (Andromache River subcatchment) and E (O’Connell River subcatchment) of the Whitsunday Water Management Area for:
- the conversion of existing water authorisations to unsupplemented water allocations and the granting of unsupplemented water allocations in accordance with Chapter 3, Part 3, Division 2 of the Whitsunday Draft Resource Operations Plan (the notified draft)
- water allocations to take unsupplemented water: the application of water sharing rules; the provisions for dealings with water allocations; and the application of seasonal water assignment rules, in accordance with Chapter 5 of the notified draft
- the amending or granting of a water licence for taking unsupplemented water in accordance with Chapter 3, Part 4 of the notified draft
- for water licences to take unsupplemented water, the application of water sharing rules in accordance with Chapter 6 of the notified draft.
Release of unallocated water
On 18 June 2014, the Chief Executive of the Department of Natural Resources and Mines started a process to release water from the general reserves of unallocated water in the Kelsey Creek-Lethe Brook, Thompson Creek, O'Connell River and Andromache River subcatchment areas of the Water Plan (Whitsunday) 2010.
This tender process has been completed. No water licences were granted.
The department has prepared a report summarising the outcomes (PDF, 904.7KB) of the tender process. This report has been reviewed and endorsed by the probity auditor overseeing the tender process.
You can view past reports and historical documents relating to the plans in the library catalogue.
If you have any problems downloading these documents or would like a copy sent by mail, please contact:
Department of Natural Resources and Mines
22–30 Wood Street
Mackay QLD 4740
Phone: 1800 822 100
Fax: (07) 4999 6903
Email: Whitsunday WRP Coordinator