Wet Tropics catchment
Under the Water Reform and Other Legislation Amendment Act 2014, water resource plans and resource operation plans are being replaced by new planning instruments. Water planning outcomes for the Wet Tropics catchment are now provided by the Water Plan (Wet Tropics) 2013 and Wet Tropics Water Management Protocol. Once these documents have been prepared in accordance with the transitional provisions in the Act they will be made available below.
Read more about the changes to water legislation.
Map of the catchment
- The Wet Tropics water plan commenced on 13 December 2013.
- Explanatory notes accompany the plan.
- A consultation report (PDF, 449.1KB) summarises issues raised during the consultation process and how those issues were addressed in the plan.
Groundwater notification process
Under the water plan, an owner of land with existing groundwater works in a prescribed groundwater management area should provide the chief executive with a notice of works on the approved form (PDF, 166.6KB).
Existing groundwater works are works in existence before the 20 June 2012 capable of being used to take groundwater for a purpose, other than stock or domestic purposes or prescribed activities, and are located in the following areas in which, before the commencement of this plan, a water licence was not required to take groundwater:
- Mulgrave–Russell groundwater management area
- Southern Tablelands groundwater management area
- Lower Johnstone groundwater management area
- South Johnstone groundwater management area
- Liverpool Creek groundwater management area
- Tully groundwater management area
- Lower Herbert groundwater management area.
Failure to notify works could result in the unauthorised take of groundwater.
Resource operations plan
The Wet Tropics Resource Operations Plan 2016 (PDF, 3.4MB) was finalised in July 2016 to implement the water plan.
The consultation report (PDF, 624.3KB) summarises issues raised during the consultation process on the draft resource operations plan released in 2015, and how those issues were addressed in the final plan.
You can view past reports and historical documents relating to the water plan in the library catalogue.
If you would like more information about the Wet Tropics water planning activities, please contact:
Department of Natural Resources and Mines
Centre for Wet Tropics Agriculture
Experimental Station Road
PO Box 20
South Johnstone QLD 4880
Phone: 1800 232 454
Fax: (07) 4064 2249
Email: Wet Tropics WRP Coordinator