Under the Water Reform and Other Legislation Amendment Act 2014, water resource plans and resource operation plans have been replaced by new planning instruments: the Water Plan (Mitchell) 2007 and Mitchell Water Management Protocol 2016. See below to access the instruments.
- Find out more about changes to the planning process.
Map of the catchment
- The Mitchell water resource plan (WRP), which was released in November 2007, is now referred to as the Water Plan (Mitchell) 2007 (PDF) (the water plan).
- The water plan contains the same information as that specified in the superseded WRP. The water plan also now specifies water management areas, trading zones, as well as criteria for deciding water licence applications, which were previously contained in the superseded resource operations plan (ROP).
- For ease of reference, the clauses transitioning from the superseded ROP into the water plan have been combined into a single document, the Mitchell transitions from ROP to water plan (PDF, 473.7KB).
- The explanatory notes for the superseded plan (PDF) are still available.
Water management protocol
- The Mitchell ROP, which commenced in November 2009, is no longer in effect. However, the provisions contained in this document are taken to be a part of the water plan or water management protocol.
- The Mitchell Water Management Protocol 2016 (PDF, 2.9MB) contains water sharing, water allocation dealing and seasonal water assignment rules for unsupplemented water in the plan area information.
You can view past reports and historical documents relating to the plans in the library catalogue.
If you have problems downloading these documents, or would like more information about the Mitchell water planning activities, please contact:
Department of Natural Resources and Mines
Centre for Tropical Agriculture
28 Peters Street
PO Box 156
Mareeba QLD 4880
Phone: (07) 4048 4850
Fax: (07) 4092 2366
Email: Mitchell WRP coordinator