Have your say on draft water plan and water management instruments
On 5 January 2017 a public notice was published inviting feedback on the three water management instruments:
- Draft Great Artesian Basin and other regional aquifers water plan (PDF, 4.1MB)
- Draft water management protocol for the Great Artesian Basin and other regional aquifers (PDF, 1.8MB)
- Draft water entitlement notice for the Great Artesian Basin and other regional aquifers (PDF, 1.4MB)
- You can also view a map of the proposed new plan area (GIF, 77.5KB), and supporting documents are provided below.
Information on how these instruments were developed, the intent of the new provisions and how they differ from the current arrangements can be found in the Statement of intent (PDF, 1.3MB). This provides a plain English explanation of the documents.
The Water Entitlement Notice (WEN) proposes a number of amendments to water entitlements across the water plan area. Those entitlement holders who have an entitlement listed in the WEN will receive a letter informing them and will have the opportunity to submit on any proposed changes to their water entitlement.
It is advised that all water entitlement holders check the WEN to see if their entitlement is listed in it irrespective of whether they receive a letter or not. For further details contact your local DNRM office.
During February and March 2017, public workshops were held in 26 Queensland regional centres to provide stakeholders with the opportunity to hear about the Draft Water Plan first-hand.
Submit your feedback
The department is seeking submissions from interested individuals, groups or entities, about the new Draft Water Plan for the Great Artesian Basin and other regional aquifers. Any person, including a representative of an interest group, may make a submission.
Complete the form included in the Statement of Intent. Submissions must be made to the Chief Executive and received by 5pm, Monday 17 April 2017. Email, post, and online submissions will be accepted. Submissions must be sent to one of the following:
Attention: GABORA Water Plan Coordinator
Department of Natural Resources and Mines
PO Box 15216
City East Qld 4002
The information provided in submissions will be taken into consideration in developing the final plan.
A number of supporting documents have been prepared during the development of the draft water plan and protocol that may assist the community in understanding how the GAB is managed. The Statement of intent (PDF, 1.3MB) describes and explains the provisions of the Draft Water Plan.
Hydrogeological assessments of the Great Artesian Basin
These assessments are prepared by Klohn Crippen Berger.
- Carpentaria Basin (PDF, 14.6MB)
- Eromanga Basin (PDF, 18.4MB)
- Surat Basin (PDF, 12.3MB)
- Methods and data report (PDF, 5.8MB).
Reviews and reports
- Review of management rules protecting springs and existing water users (PDF, 801.7KB) (Jacobs)
- Review of water resource plan: environmental assessment report (PDF, 1.7MB) (DSITI)
- Water resource plan: socio-economic report (PDF, 4.2MB)
- Water resource plan: cultural values report (PDF, 1.1MB).
- Great Artesian Basin overview (PDF, 2.8MB)
- water management (PDF, 415.4KB)
- extractive resource industries (PDF, 414.4KB)
- environmental values (PDF, 257.0KB)
- social and cultural water uses (PDF, 1.4MB)
- efficiency programs (PDF, 1.2MB).