Great Artesian Basin
The Great Artesian Basin (GAB) is one of the largest groundwater basin complexes in the world. It lies beneath 22% of Australia and intersects 4 state and territory boundaries. About 70% of the GAB lies within Queensland and it is a major source of water for inland communities and industry.
The GAB feeds numerous springs of significant environmental and cultural conservation value. There are over a thousand springs in the Queensland part of the Basin.
- Download an overview fact sheet for Queensland Great Artesian Basin (PDF, 2.7MB).
- Download the current map of the Great Artesian Basin water plan area (PDF, 235.1KB).
The water of the Queensland section of the Great Artesian Basin is currently managed through the Water Plan (Great Artesian Basin and Other Regional Aquifers) 2017. The water plan is implemented through the Great Artesian Basin water management protocol (PDF, 1.1MB) which was finalised in September 2017.
The chief executive has also finalised the water entitlement notice (PDF, 1.9MB).
- Water Plan (Great Artesian Basin and Other Regional Aquifers) 2017
- Water management protocol for the Great Artesian Basin and other regional aquifers (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Water entitlement notice for the Great Artesian Basin and other regional aquifers (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Map of the plan area (PDF, 235.1KB)
- Statement of changes (PDF, 143.6KB)
A number of supporting documents were prepared during the development of the draft water plan and water management protocol.
Hydrogeological assessments of the Great Artesian Basin
These assessments were prepared by Klohn Crippen Berger.
- Carpentaria Basin (PDF, 14.6MB)
- Eromanga Basin (PDF, 18.4MB) (PDF, 18.4MB)
- Surat Basin (PDF, 12.3MB) (PDF, 12.3MB)
- Methods and data report (PDF, 5.8MB) (PDF, 5.8MB)
Reviews and reports
- Review of management rules protecting springs and existing water users (PDF, 801.7KB) (Jacobs)
- Review of water resource plan: environmental assessment report (PDF, 1.7MB) (DSITI)
- Water resource plan: socio-economic report (PDF, 4.2MB)
- Water resource plan: cultural values report (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Consultation report (PDF, 807.3KB)
- Great Artesian Basin overview (PDF, 2.7MB)
- Water management (PDF, 418.7KB)
- Extractive resource industries (PDF, 383.0KB)
- Environmental values (PDF, 233.6KB)
- Social and cultural water uses (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Efficiency programs (PDF, 837.7KB)
Note: some of these file are larger than 2 MB and should be saved to your computer rather than viewed in your browser.
Great Artesian Basin and other regional aquifer groundwater dependent ecosystems
A register of Queensland Great Artesian Basin and other regional aquifer groundwater dependent ecosystems such as springs, water courses and the Yelarbon Desert will be maintained. It will contain groundwater dependent ecosystem locations, the groundwater unit and the cumulative drawdown for each groundwater dependent ecosystem.
Capping and piping uncontrolled bores and bore drain requirements
Under the Water Plan (Great Artesian Basin and Other Regional Aquifers) 2017, owners of uncontrolled bores and bore drains must complete a bore management statement.
You can view past reports and historical documents relating to the Great Artesian Basin plans in the library catalogue.
Attention: GABORA Water Plan Coordinator
Department of Natural Resources and Mines
PO Box 15216
CITY EAST QLD 4002
Phone: 13 QGOV (13 74 68) during business hours