Under the Water Reform and Other Legislation Amendment Act 2014, water resource plans and resource operation plans have been replaced by new planning instruments: the Water Plan (Gold Coast) 2006, Gold Coast Water Management Protocol 2016, and 1 resource operations licence and associated operations manual. See below to access these instruments.
- Find out more about changes to the planning process.
Map of the catchment
- The Gold Coast water resource plan (WRP), which commenced on 15 December 2006, is now referred to as the Water Plan (Gold Coast) 2006 (PDF) (the water plan). The plan contains the same information as that specified in the superseded WRP. The water plan also specifies water management areas, trading zones, as well as criteria for deciding water licence applications, which were previously contained in the superseded resource operations plan (ROP).
- For ease of reference, the clauses transitioning from the superseded ROP into the water plan have been combined into a single document, the Gold Coast transitions from ROP to water plan (PDF, 576.6KB).
- The explanatory notes for the superseded plan (PDF) are still available.
On 25 November 2016 the Minister published the Water Resource (Gold Coast) Plan (Postponement of Expiry) Notice 2016 (PDF) to postpone the expiry of the Gold Coast water plan to 14 December 2026.
Water management protocol
- The Gold Coast ROP, which commenced on 1 November 2010, is no longer in effect. However, the provisions/components contained in this document are taken to be a part of the water plan, water management protocol, resource operations licence and associated operations manual.
- The Gold Coast Water Management Protocol 2016 (PDF, 595.9KB) contains water sharing and water allocation dealing rules for the permanent trading of supplemented and unsupplemented water in the plan area. The seasonal water assignment rules for the unsupplemented water are contained in the water management protocol while the supplemented rules are contained in the operations manual.
Resource operations licence
- The resource operations licence for the Nerang Water Supply Scheme (PDF, 102.2KB), operated by SEQ Water, contains information relating to the specific watercourses that can be used to supply entitlements, environmental management rules and monitoring and reporting requirements. You can also obtain copies of the licence from your local business centre.
- The Nerang Water Supply Scheme operations manual (PDF, 632.4KB) is now in effect. It contains the day-to-day operational, water sharing and seasonal water assignment rules for supplemented water.
You can view past reports and historical documents relating to the plans in the library catalogue.
If you have any problems downloading any of these documents, or you would like a copy sent by post, please contact:
Water Services South East Region
GPO Box 2771
Brisbane QLD 4001
Ph: 1800 994 188
Fax: (07) 3224 2933