Fitzroy Basin catchment
Under the Water Reform and Other Legislation Amendment Act 2014, water resource plans and resource operation plans are being replaced. We will make these amended documents available once completed. Read more about the changes to water legislation.
Map of the catchment
- Download a detailed Fitzroy Basin planning area map (PDF, 295.4KB).
Water resource plan
- The Fitzroy Basin water resource plan (listed under the Water Act 2000) commenced on 9 December 2011 and was amended on 11 September 2015.
- Explanatory notes accompany the plan.
- A consultation report (PDF, 401.5KB) summarises issues raised during the consultation process and how these were dealt with in preparing the final amended plan.
Resource operations plan
The Fitzroy Basin resource operations plan (PDF, 3.0MB) was amended on 11 September 2015 and commenced on 3 December 2015 following the parliamentary disallowance period. This amendment addresses the deferred aspects from the 2014 Fitzroy Basin resource operations plan amendment, and other key water management issues. These amendments include :
- implementing the new methodology for reducing groundwater entitlements in the Callide Valley alluvium (provided in an amendment to the WRP) and the conversion of 54 water licences in the Lower Callide groundwater sub-area to tradeable groundwater allocations, provision of water sharing and water trading rules for these entitlements,
- the amendment of water licences to better define the terms and conditions for accessing water from Lake Mary/McDonald,
- the amendment of 16 water licences in the Don and Dee rivers and Alma Creek to state an increased volume of water with appropriate flow access conditions to ensure existing users are not adversely impacted,
- the amendment of four groundwater allocations in the Callide Valley Water Supply Scheme with additional volume in alignment with the criteria stated in the WRP amendment,
- corrections to minor errors.
A consultation report (PDF, 401.5KB) is available, which includes an overview of how the issues raised in submissions were dealt with.
Overland flow notification process
Under the Water Resource (Fitzroy Basin) Plan 2011, a notice of works should be provided to the chief executive from:
- an owner of land with overland flow works in existence before 13 September 2001. Landholders who notified under the repealed water resource plan do not need to renotify their works, and
- the holder of a mining tenement or petroleum tenure for land with overland flow works in existence before 9 December 2011. Notification is not required for existing overland flow works that take water to satisfy the requirement of an environmental authority issued under the Environmental Protection Act 1994.
Landholders and holders of mining tenements and petroleum tenures can notify on the approved form. Failure to notify works could result in the unauthorised take of overland flow water.
You can view past reports and historical documents relating to the basin plans in the library catalogue.
If you have problems downloading these documents, or would like a copy sent by mail, please contact:
Department of Natural Resources and Mines
Rockhampton State Gov. Bld. L1
209 Bolsover Street
PO Box 1762
Rockhampton Qld 4700
Phone: 1800 822 100
Fax: (07) 4927 3079
Email: Fitzroy WRP coordinator