Condamine and Balonne catchment
Under the Water Reform and Other Legislation Amendment Act 2014, water resource plans and resource operation plans are being replaced by new planning instruments.
Water planning outcomes for the Condamine and Balonne catchment are now provided by the Water Plan (Condamine and Balonne) 2004, Condamine and Balonne Water Management Protocol, four resource operations licences and associated operations manual, and one distribution operations licence and associated operations manual. Once these documents have been prepared in accordance with the transitional provisions in the Act they will be made available below.
Read more about the changes to water legislation.
Map of the catchment
The Condamine and Balonne water plan is scheduled to expire in 2019 and must be replaced under the Water Act. Replacing the plan will ensure that the needs of water users, the environment and the general community continue to be met. The new plan will be consistent with the requirements of the Murray-Darling Basin Plan 2012.
New scientific and monitoring information, in addition to over a decade of experience managing water in the catchment, will contribute to the new plan. Community input will also be instrumental.
The Condamine and Balonne statement of proposals (PDF, 864.2KB), outlining the issues for the plan review, was released for public comment in July 2016. Submissions closed on 31 August 2016.
The Condamine and Balonne water plan (PDF) was approved in August 2004. Amendments to include arrangements for the management of subartesian groundwater not connected to the Great Artesian Basin commenced on 19 December 2014.
- Download the Condamine and Balonne water plan.
- Explanatory notes accompany the plan
- A consultation report (PDF, 563.4KB) summarises issues raised during the consultation process and how these were dealt with in preparing the final amended plan.
Corresponding amendments were made to the Border Rivers and Moonie water plans. You can view information about these corresponding amendments at the Border Rivers catchment planning page or the Moonie catchment planning page
Resource operations plan
The Condamine and Balonne resource operations plan was approved in December 2008.
- The Condamine Balonne resource operations plan amendment (PDF, 10.0MB) commenced on 6 July 2015. The amendment allows water users in the Lower Balonne Water Management Area to change the management of their entitlements from 'multiyear accounting' water sharing rule to an 'instantaneous volumetric limit' water sharing rule.
- A consultation report (PDF, 890.7KB) is available, which includes a summary of the consultation that was undertaken during development of the plan amendment.
Water management plan
- On 10 August 2012, a water management plan was declared for the Upper Condamine Alluvium area.
- The water management plan is an interim water resource plan for the Commonwealth Water Act 2007 and ensures that holders of existing groundwater entitlements in this area are eligible for participation in Commonwealth water recovery programs. Further information can be found on the Queensland Murray-Darling Basin pages.
- An updated booklet containing property maps has been included in the library catalogue.
- You can view past reports and historical documents relating to the plans in the library catalogue.
Mail: Department of Natural Resources and Mines
Attention: Jason Chavasse, Principal Natural Resources Officer
Water Services South Region
PO Box 318
Toowoomba QLD 4350
Fax: (07) 4529 1555 Attention: Jason Chavasse, Principal Natural Resource Officer
Phone: (07) 4529 1233