Condamine and Balonne catchment
Map of the catchment
- Download the map of the water resource plan area (PDF, 430.0KB)
The Condamine and Balonne water resource plan is scheduled to expire in 2019 and must be replaced under the Water Act. Replacing the plan will ensure that the needs of water users, the environment and the general community continue to be met. The new plan will be consistent with the requirements of the Murray-Darling Basin Plan 2012.
New scientific and monitoring information, in addition to over a decade of experience managing water in the catchment, will contribute to the new plan. Community input will also be instrumental.
The Condamine and Balonne statement of proposals (PDF, 864.2KB), outlining the issues for the plan review, is available for public comment. The public notice for the statement of proposals provides details on how you can have your say, and submissions close on 31 August 2016.
Have your say
Anyone with an interest in the planning process may comment on the statement of proposals (PDF, 864.2KB), issues that should be considered in the plan's development, and the process for community engagement.
Submissions can be made by completing the submission form (PDF, 335.9KB) and returning it to us by mail, fax or email. Alternatively, an online submission can be made. Your name and contact details must be supplied with each submission.
Submissions close: 5pm 31 August 2016.
Mail to: Chief Executive
Attn: Jason Chavasse Principal Natural Resources Officer
Water Services South Region
Department of Natural Resources and Mines
PO Box 3180
Toowoomba QLD 4350
To provide further information on the statement of proposals and commencement of the water planning process, drop-in sessions will be held across the plan area during July.
|18 July 2016||12.00pm to 3.00pm||Warwick||Old Stock Inspectors Room, DNRM Warwick, Cnr Guy and Fitzroy Streets, Warwick|
|19 July 2016||9.00am to 12.00pm||Dalby||Myall Youth & Community Network Centre Inc., Cnr Drayton & Nicholson Streets, Dalby|
|19 July 2016||9.00am to 4.00pm||Stanthorpe||Main Room, Stanthorpe RSL, 46 Marsh St, Stanthorpe|
|19 July 2016||1.00pm to 4.00pm||Nindigully||Nindigully Pub, Carnarvorn Hwy, Thallon|
|20 July 2016||9.00am to 12.00pm||Goondiwindi||River Room, Goondiwindi Technology and Training Centre, 15-21 Russell Street, Goondiwindi|
|20 July 2016||1.30pm to 4.30pm||Inglewood||Inglewood Shire Hall, Cnr Elizabeth & Albert Streets, Inglewood|
|21 July 2016||9.00am to 12.00pm||Chinchilla||Chinchilla RSL Memorial Club, 61 Heeney Street, Chinchilla|
|22 July 2016|| 9.00am to 12.00pm |
2.00pm to 4.00pm
|Toowoomba||Gold Room, 203 Tor St, Toowoomba|
|25 July 2016||1.00pm to 3.00pm||Goodooga||Goodooga Health Service, 49 Hammond Street, Goodooga|
As part of the process of developing the new plan we will also be engaging with Aboriginal groups, water user groups, key peak body groups, local governments, the Murray-Darling Basin Authority and New South Wales representatives for those areas subject to inter-jurisdictional considerations.
Water resource plan
The Condamine and Balonne water resource plan was approved in August 2004. Amendments to include arrangements for the management of subartesian groundwater not connected to the Great Artesian Basin commenced on 19 December 2014.
- Download the Condamine and Balonne water resource plan.
- Explanatory notes accompany the plan
- A consultation report (PDF, 563.4KB) summarises issues raised during the consultation process and how these were dealt with in preparing the final amended plan.
Corresponding amendments were made to the Border Rivers and Moonie water resource plans. You can view information about these corresponding amendments at the Border Rivers catchment planning page or the Moonie catchment planning page
Resource operations plan
The Condamine and Balonne resource operations plan was approved in December 2008.
- The Condamine Balonne resource operations plan amendment (PDF, 10.0MB) commenced on 6 July 2015. The amendment allows water users in the Lower Balonne Water Management Area to change the management of their entitlements from 'multiyear accounting' water sharing rule to an 'instantaneous volumetric limit' water sharing rule.
- A consultation report (PDF, 890.7KB) is available, which includes a summary of the consultation that was undertaken during development of the plan amendment.
Water management plan
- On 10 August 2012, a water management plan was declared for the Upper Condamine Alluvium area.
- The water management plan is an interim water resource plan for the Commonwealth Water Act 2007 and ensures that holders of existing groundwater entitlements in this area are eligible for participation in Commonwealth water recovery programs. Further information can be found on the Queensland Murray-Darling Basin pages.
- An updated booklet containing property maps has been included in the library catalogue.
- You can view past reports and historical documents relating to the plans in the library catalogue.
Mail: Department of Natural Resources and Mines
Attention: Jason Chavasse, Principal Natural Resources Officer
Water Services South Region
PO Box 318
Toowoomba QLD 4350
Fax: (07) 4529 1555 Attention: Jason Chavasse, Principal Natural Resource Officer
Phone: (07) 4529 1233