ERZ Controller/Deputy course
RII40415 Certificate IV in Underground Coal Operations
This course prepares participants to take on the more senior responsibilities of managing teams, implementing risk management systems and applying statutory requirements.
Candidates who successfully complete this course can apply to the Board of Examiners to sit the coal mine deputy written exam.
Duration: 2-2.5 years
Who should attend?
The Coal Mine Deputy/ERZ Controller course is suitable for underground coal workers who intend to monitor underground mining operations and who wish to become a Deputy/ERZ Controller.
Recognition of prior learning (RPL)
You can apply for recognition of prior learning for each of the units of competency in this qualification. You will need to supply information on your work history and samples of work, and may need to undertake assessments and/or an interview to determine whether you have met the competency standards. RPL is conducted on a one-on-one basis. Contact us to discuss your RPL options.
Course delivery and assessment
The course is delivered over a 2-2.5 year timeframe depending on the student’s experience. Each competency is delivered in a blended/online mode with tutor support, or in a face-to-face delivery mode. All competencies include theory and practical assessments with third-party verification for the workplace projects and practical tasks.
- RIIMEX406D - Apply and monitor transport system and production equipment
- RIIRAI401D - Apply and monitor mine services and infrastructure systems
- RIIERR402D - Apply and monitor underground coal mine emergency preparedness and response systems
- RIIMCU408D - Apply the spontaneous combustion management plan
- RIIUND401D - Apply and monitor the ventilation management plan
- RIIMCU403D - Apply and monitor the gas management plan (coming soon)
- RIIMCU406D - Apply and monitor the inrush management plan
- RIIMCU407D - Apply and monitor the strata management plan
- RIIRIS402D - Carry out the risk management processes
- RIIMCU404E - Apply and monitor the gas drainage management plan (coming soon)
- RIICOM301D - Communicate information
- RIIWHS301D - Conduct safety and health investigations (coming soon)
- RIIBLA302D - Conduct shotfiring operations in underground coal mines (not offered by Simtars; please source from another Registered Training Organisation)