Skip to navigation Skip to main content

The Department of Natural Resources and Mines and the Department of Energy and Water Supply have been combined to create the new Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy.

We will continue to update this website while we work on our new website.

Repairs to groundwater bores and spears

Repairing or replacing pumps

Pumps on groundwater bores or spears that have been covered by floodwater may need to be replaced.

You can replace a pump damaged or lost due to flood without applying for a development permit.  

De-silting bores and spears

You may need to undertake drilling operations to de-silt or clean out an existing bore or spear that has been covered by and open to floodwater.

You will need a development permit if these operations would result in a change to the aquifer from which the works accesses water, or a change to the interference with groundwater.

Replacing a water bore

You may need to replace a water bore that has been damaged by floodwater.

Replacement water bores for taking or interfering with water outside the Great Artesian Basin plan area are considered exempt development. This means you do not need to apply for a development permit or ensure the works are authorised under a self-assessable code.

The replacement water bore must be within 10 metres of the location of the previous bore and tap the same aquifer tapped by the previous bore. Drilling a bore greater than 6 metres deep must be undertaken by or supervised by a licensed water bore driller.

Refer to the Code for self-assessable development of replacement bores for subartesian bores connected to an artesian aquifer and managed under the Water Plan (Great Artesian Basin) 2006.

Bores that are classified as assessable development require a development permit before work can start. All artesian bores in the Great Artesian Basin are assessable development.

Contact your local business centre for more information.

Applying for a development permit

Assessable development requires approval from the State Assessment and Referral Agency.

You will require a development permit before you can begin work on assessable development.

If you are planning works and need information about assessable, self-assessable and exempt development, contact the Department of Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning.


Last updated: 29 November 2017

The Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy is an economic development agency that enables the productive and responsible use of our natural resources – water, land, mineral and energy resources – to generate wealth and prosperity for current and future generations of Queenslanders.

A proud White Ribbon Accredited Workplace, in recognition of the active steps taken to recognise, prevent, respond and support staff affected by domestic and family violence. We are committed to creating a safe, inclusive and respectful workplace.

Connect with us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
Mining alerts
  • Twitter
Gas safety
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Contact us

Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy
13 QGOV (13 74 68) business hours
Visit the contact us page for specific enquiries
Visit the Media centre