Skip to navigation Skip to main content

Feedback and complaints

This page explains how to provide feedback and how to make a public interest disclosure.

On this page:

Provide feedback

We value your feedback to help us ensure we are delivering quality services.

All feedback will be treated in the strictest confidence and in accordance with the privacy principles contained in the Information Privacy Act 2009. Please also see our privacy page.

If you are not satisfied with our service delivery, services, products, decisions or actions and you have not been able to resolve the matter with our staff, you can lodge a complaint.

How to provide feedback


You can make a complaint by email, post or by phone (see details above) or use our online complaints form.

Assistance to make your complaint

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can call the National Relay Service on 133 677 (TTY/Voice) / 1300 555 727 (Speak and Listen (SSR).

If you need an interpreter, call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) National on 131 450.

If you need any other assistance please contact us using the contact details above.

Resolving your complaint

We aim to resolve your complaint within 20 business days. However, more complicated issues may take longer. If necessary, we will contact you and advise you of the timeframe for a response.

When we have investigated your complaint, we will contact you to advise you of the outcome of the investigation.

Independent review

If you are not satisfied with our formal processes, you can contact the Queensland Ombudsman's Office to request an independent review of the issues raised.

Make a public interest disclosure

Disclosures are an important source of information to help uncover corruption and other misuses of public resources. We are committed to ensuring the highest level of ethics in our organisation and support public interest disclosures. This page explains how members of the public and our employees can make a public interest disclosure about our department or our employees.

For more information about public interest disclosures, including the protections offered to disclosers under the Public Interest Disclosure Act 2010 (PID Act), visit the Queensland Ombudsman website.

Types of disclosures you can make

Anyone can make a disclosure about a:

  • substantial and specific danger to the health or safety of a person with a disability
  • substantial and specific danger to the environment
  • reprisal action following a public interest disclosure

In addition to these, public service employees can also make disclosures about:

  • corrupt conduct by another person
  • maladministration that adversely affects a person's interests in a substantial and specific way
  • a substantial misuse of public resources
  • a substantial and specific danger to public health or safety.

Members of the public can complain about these matters  as well, but the PID Act will not apply.

Nonetheless, we encourage you to report matters of public importance. 

How to make a disclosure

You can make a disclosure to:

In addition, public service employees can make a disclosure to their manager. Internal disclosures should be made to their manager in the first instance, unless the manager is part of the disclosure. In this case, contact the Manager Workplace Relations on 3333 5189.

What to include in your disclosure

Please provide the following information:

  • the name and job title of the person who is the subject of the disclosure
  • information about relevant events, dates and places
  • the names of people who may be able to provide additional information
  • your contact details or, if you want to remain anonymous, an alias and contact point (for communication about the disclosure assessment and outcome).

What happens after you make a disclosure

We will assess your complaint to see whether it meets the requirements for a public interest disclosure. We will inform you when we complete this assessment.

We will also notify of the outcome of our investigation as soon as practicable.

You can ask for an internal review of our decision if:

  • we decided not to investigate or deal with your complaint
  • you are not satisfied with how we handled your complaint.

To request a review, apply in writing to the Manager Workplace Relations, PO Box 15216, CITY EAST QLD 4002.

If you are still not satisfied after this internal review, you can seek an external review by contacting the Queensland Ombudsman.

Your rights to a review will be explained when we notify you about the outcome of your complaint.

What happens if an employee is the subject of a complaint

If an employee is the subject of a complaint, they have the right to:

  • be informed about the allegation
  • respond to the allegation
  • be treated fairly
  • have the matter handled confidentially
  • have the matter investigated and decided by an impartial person.

If the employee thinks they have been treated unfairly, they can lodge a complaint according to departmental procedures. If they disagree with the outcome of the complaints process,  the employee can contact the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission for information on their right to appeal.

Further information

Read the Queensland Ombudsman website's information about public interest disclosures.

Refer to the Public Interest Disclosure Act 2010.


Last updated: 3 April 2017


Connect with us

Follow us for the latest mining, gas safety, land and water news, info and events

Follow us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterFollow us on Youtube

The Department of Natural Resources and Mines is an economic development agency that enables the productive and responsible use of our natural resources – water, land, mineral and energy resources – to generate wealth and prosperity for current and future generations of Queenslanders.

Connect with us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
Mining alerts
  • Twitter
Gas safety
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Contact us

Department of Natural Resources and Mines
1 William Street, Brisbane, Queensland 4000
13 QGOV (13 74 68) business hours
Visit the contact us page for specific enquiries
Visit the Media centre