Skip to navigation Skip to main content
Can’t find what you are looking for? We are currently moving most of our content to or Find out more about why this is happening.

Travel permits

You must apply to the relevant local government for an appropriate permit to move or graze stock on the stock route network.

When is a travel permit required?

A stock route travel permit is required for all movements of stock on foot on:

  • stock routes
  • reserves for travelling stock
  • roads and other land under local government control
  • unallocated state land adjoining any of these listed land types.

A permit is not required when moving stock between properties if all the following apply:

  • the properties are owned by the same landowner and worked as a single enterprise
  • travel occurs during a single day in daylight hours
  • travel is for animal husbandry or property management purposes only.

You also do not need a stock route network travel permit if stock are being transported by truck or rail (permits may be required under other legislation for transporting stock).

Before applying

Before moving stock, ensure that you:

  • Understand the regulations for transporting stock.
  • Contact all the relevant local governments and consider inspecting the proposed route to determine its condition and suitability for travel.
  • Apply for a grazing (agistment) permit if stock require spelling.
  • Apply for a waybill (unless an exception under the Stock Act 1915 applies).

Who can apply?

Any stock owner or their authorised agent can apply for a travel permit. You do not need to reside in the local government area where the application is submitted. The stock owner is the holder of the permit.


The fee is calculated by the local government when the application is approved and must be paid before the permit is issued. Fees set by legislation are:

  • large stock:   per km per 20 head or part of 20 head
  • small stock:   per km per 100 head or part of 100 head.

Fees are not charged for:

  • infant stock that is less than 6 months old, unweaned and travelling with their mother
  • stock travelling to a gymkhana or rodeo
  • horses used for droving stock under a stock route permit.

In the case of infant stock, the application must demonstrate that any infants are travelling with, and reliant on, their mother. Young stock that are grazing and not reliant on their mother for feed and nutrients will not meet this criterion.

All stock must be fit and able to travel at the minimum permitted rate.

How to apply

Complete the Application for a stock route travel permit (PDF, 169.7KB) and send it to the relevant local government at least 7 days before travel is to start. Applications can generally be lodged in person or by post, fax or email (check with the local council).

Stock welfare

If for health reasons stock require spelling, the permit holder will need to apply for a 7-day grazing (agistment) permit.

Alternative arrangements should be made for agistment or spelling in case a grazing (agistment) permit cannot be issued.

What happens next?

The local government will assess the application by considering:

  • pasture levels on the route
  • availability and suitability of water
  • likelihood the stock’s travel will spread a declared pest or notifiable disease
  • whether the minimum travel rate of 10km per day can be met by the stock or, if a lesser rate is permitted, whether the lesser rate can be sustained for the entire journey
  • impacts on road traffic infrastructure and road safety.

Once the application has been assessed, you will receive a written notice of the decision.

Review of local government decision

You can apply for a review of a local government decision if you are not satisfied with a decision to:

  • refuse to grant a permit
  • impose or refuse to amend conditions on the permit
  • cancel the permit.

To apply for a review, complete the Application for a review of a local government decision (PDF, 402.0KB) and send to:

Regional Manager
Land Services
PO Box 1762
Rockhampton QLD 4700

Permit cancellation

A current permit may be cancelled if you supplied false or misleading information in your application, if you breach the permit conditions or if the stock route can no longer provide enough pasture or water for the stock.

Find out more

  • Contact one of our business centres to purchase a detailed map of the Queensland stock route network and water points.
  • Contact the relevant local government for enquiries about stock routes and permits.


Last updated: 23 March 2015

The Department of Natural Resources and Mines is an economic development agency that enables the productive and responsible use of our natural resources – water, land, mineral and energy resources – to generate wealth and prosperity for current and future generations of Queenslanders.

Connect with us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
Mining alerts
  • Twitter
Gas safety
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Contact us

Department of Natural Resources and Mines
61 Mary Street, Brisbane, Queensland 4000
13 QGOV (13 74 68) business hours
Visit the contact us page for specific enquires