Skip to navigation Skip to main content
Can’t find what you are looking for? We are currently moving most of our content to or Find out more about why this is happening.

Grazing (agistment) permits

You must apply to the relevant local government for an appropriate permit to move or graze stock on the stock route network.

A stock route grazing (agistment) permit is required to agist stock on:

  • stock routes
  • reserves for travelling stock
  • roads and other land under local government control.

The purpose of the permit is to provide short-term relief while longer term strategies are put in place.

Grazing (agistment) permits issued for travelling stock are valid for a maximum of 7 days and cannot be renewed. Permits for other stock are issued for a maximum for 28 days and can be renewed once only.

Before applying

Contact the local government to discuss preferred agistment locations.

Who can apply?

You are eligible for a grazing (agistment) permit if you:

  • are a landowner whose land is adversely affected by drought, fire or flood
  • hold a stock route travel permit and wish to temporarily cease travelling to brand, crutch, dip, drench, jet, shear
  • truck the stock under control, or spell the stock to comply with an obligation imposed by animal welfare legislation
  • are responding to a notice by local government inviting applications for agistment of stock.

You are not eligible to apply if you have held an grazing (agistment) permit for the land in the 3 months immediately before the date of application.

You do not need to reside in the local government area where the application is submitted.


When deciding the fee, local government considers the:

  • type of country and the stock to be agisted under the permit
  • quality of pasture available for agistment
  • accessibility of water at the agistment site
  • proposed use of travelling stock facilities (including water facilities)
  • comparable agistment rates in the area.

Once a permit has been issued, you must pay the local government the amount shown on the permit.

The fee range set by legislation is given below.

Type of stockMinimum fee per head per weekMaximum fee per head per week
Large stock  
Small stock  

How to apply

Complete the Application for a stock route grazing (agistment) permit (PDF, 172.6KB) and send it to the relevant local government. Applications can generally be lodged in person or by post, fax or email (check with the local council).

  • If responding to a local government notice, you must lodge your application within 7 days.
  • If applying for agistment of travelling stock, apply at least 3 days before the proposed agistment period.
  • If applying for other reasons, allow at least 7 days for your application to be processed.

What happens next?

The local government will assess the application by considering:

  • the likely requirements of travelling stock for pasture and water
  • the local stock route network management plan
  • the likelihood that agistment will introduce or spread a declared pest or degrade the land
  • impacts on road safety.

Once the application has been assessed, you will receive a written notice of the decision.

Review of local government decision

You can apply for a review of a local government decision if you are not satisfied with a decision to:

  • refuse to grant or renew a permit
  • impose or refuse to amend conditions on the permit
  • cancel the permit.

To apply for a review, complete the Application for a review of a local government decision (PDF, 402.0KB) and send it to:

Regional Manager
Land Services
PO Box 1762
Rockhampton QLD 4700

Permit cancellation

A current permit may be cancelled if you supplied false or misleading information in your application, if you breach the permit conditions or if the land can no longer provide enough pasture for stock (including the likely needs of travelling stock).

Find out more

  • Contact one of our business centres to purchase a detailed map of the Queensland stock route network and water points.
  • Contact the relevant local government for enquiries about stock routes and permits.


Last updated: 23 March 2015

The Department of Natural Resources and Mines is an economic development agency that enables the productive and responsible use of our natural resources – water, land, mineral and energy resources – to generate wealth and prosperity for current and future generations of Queenslanders.

Connect with us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
Mining alerts
  • Twitter
Gas safety
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Contact us

Department of Natural Resources and Mines
61 Mary Street, Brisbane, Queensland 4000
13 QGOV (13 74 68) business hours
Visit the contact us page for specific enquires