All non-rural land, including land zoned rural-residential, is valued using the site value methodology.
If your valuation notice shows a new site valuation, the land was valued as non-rural land.
Note that units in community title schemes are not valued separately—a single valuation (for the land) is issued to the body corporate. The valuation amount for each unit owner is apportioned by the local council for rating and the Office of State Revenue for land tax (if applicable).
What improvements does the site value include?
Site value reflects what the land would be expected to sell for in its current condition. It includes any work undertaken, or materials used, to improve the physical nature of the land to prepare it for development such as:
- clearing vegetation on the land
- picking up and removing stones
- improving soil fertility or structure
- works to manage or remedy contamination (if the land was contaminated land as defined under the Environmental Protection Act 1994)
- restoring, rehabilitating or improving the land’s surface by filling, grading or levelling, but not by irrigation or conservation works
- reclaiming land by draining or filling, including retaining walls and other works for the reclamation
- underground drainage
- any other works done to the land that are necessary to improve or prepare it for development.
Deduction for site improvements
You may be eligible for a deduction for site improvements if you carried out and paid for site improvements in the past 12 years.
What improvements are excluded from the site value?
The following works do not constitute site improvements:
- structural improvements on the land such as houses, buildings, sheds, fencing, dams and landscaping
- minor works such as providing soil for gardens, retaining walls for landscaping purposes and pruning or removal of trees for beautification purposes
- excavations for pools, spas or fish ponds, underground car parks and the footings/foundations of a structure
- internal roads and driveways
- irrigation or conservation works
- services such as water and sewerage pipes and associated excavations.